Thursday, February 5, 2009

Crazy Quilt

And I don't mean crazy like zany, kooky, fun, unique. I mean crazy. Like nuts. Cuckoo. You get it.

I came across this quilt project at the 3rd or so step. Aha! I said, what a perfect way to address several of my issues at once:


  • I have wanted to make a quilt for some time but have been unsure how to begin.

  • I get overwhelmed with a huge task and do so much better by taking anything in baby steps.

  • I had just gone trough my closet and was having separation anxiety over getting rid of some of my clothes. (One shirt in particular. I LOVE the fabric, but the shirt never really fit me well and the colors were not flattering.)

  • I try to be thrifty and green at the same time. (Except when I want to buy something!)
Alright, so I went out to the garage to remove the clothes from the goodwill bag, (Evidence of Crazy #1)ready to bring them in the house, cut them up and begin my quilt.

But then I saw them all there on the floor and thought, "Those are too nice to cut up to make a first/test/learning quilt." (Evidence of Crazy #2)

So obviously the next thing to do is look for some scraps. Just grab anything I tell myself. After all this is for practice to learn how to do it. It will look fine no matter what fabric you use. The girl running this thing said so. So did I just grab anything? Oh no. I had to vacillate and look around forever to try to find something that would look nice. (EoC #3)

Finally I settled on these fabrics: (EoC #4-7)

Now I gotta say, this is a bold choice right out of the chute. Could it be any louder? I don't think so. But really, who among us didn't have some of this rainbow-y cat/dog/frog print fabric in the late 80's?

Since the last one was sort of loud, let's bring it down a bit. With lobsters? Um, yeah.


I couldn't find any neon fabric so I guess I figured this would be the next best thing. I bought this alpahabet fabric back when my now 12 year old son was 2. Should have mentioned the cat fabric above was from a dress I made for my now 16 year old step daughter when she was about 3.

And last but not least, why not use fabric you really don't like. Fabric you never liked. Fabric you are not really sure where it came from. Fabric with watermelons on it.

Alright, craziness aside, I am really enjoying this project. I have sewn the top together and am waiting for the next step.

Even thought the colors and fabrics are not great, I do like the way it is coming together. The very fact that it is coming together and not sitting in a corner unfinished and ignored is a major accomplishment. I am learning a lot.

My 3 year old is in love with it so I have promised it to him when I am done. Then I can start one for real. Maybe even cut up some of those shirts.

4 comments:

  1. love it!
    Can't wait for the next installment!!

    --Jana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those fabrics do really look neat together-the 4 blue squares tie it all in with the way you placed them. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually really like the color combination! Very cute, your three year old will be pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pam!
    Good news -- the final steps (of the quilt top) are posted on the new blog - http://www.youcanmakethis.com/blog Then we'll move on to the quilting part. :) Thanks for being a part of it!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete